setting login.conf doesn't limit my users

Jez Hancock jez.hancock at munk.nu
Mon Dec 29 01:55:52 PST 2003

On Sun, Dec 28, 2003 at 12:32:20PM -0500, Lowell Gilbert wrote:
> Jez Hancock <jez.hancock at munk.nu> writes:
> > To the OP - it may help if you paste in the contents of your login caps
> > file /etc/login.conf or detail exactly what it is you're trying to
> > cap/restrict.
>
> Indeed.  There are some limits that aren't implemented, but if the
> users can change a limit, that's not what's happening here.  Of
> course, users can always *lower* their limits, and they can raise
> their soft limits up to a maximum of the hard limit (that's what
> the distinction is for).
This is it eh - there are some limits that can't be set - I remember
having to use 'idled' from the ports to monitor the idle times of users
and if they get to 1hr of idle time, auto-log them out as it were via
idled (the login.conf setting to do this didn't work!!!).  There are a
few others but I forget what they are now (password expiry perhaps is
one?).

:P

--
Jez Hancock