What logs etc do I need tocheckfrequently?

Massimiliano Stucchi max at willystudios.com
Sun Dec 28 13:29:53 PST 2003

On Sun, 28 Dec 2003 16:14:47 -0500
"C. Ulrich" <dincht at securenym.net> wrote:

> I have had a dedicated file server on my home network for years. It
> serves out files to clients on the network via SMB and HTTP. This
> machine stores all of my permanent (and not so permanent) data and has
> two large identical disks. Only the first is used. The other is used
> strictly to back up the information on the first. A cron job runs a
> script at 7AM every morning which powers up the backup disk, mounts
> it, performs an incremental backup and then powers down the backup
> disk again until the next morning.

So why not use a cheap IDE RAID controller and do RAID1 ? I think it
would be much safer, and reduce the amount of time needed to restore the
system once a hard drive fails. We use RAID1 with a spare drive on our
web and email servers here, and there's no downtime each time a drive
fails, having put all the drives on hot-swap bays on a promise fasttrack
controller.

Greetings
--

Stucchi Massimiliano     | Gruppo Utenti FreeBSD Italia
WillyStudios.com         | http://www.gufi.org
stucchi at willystudios.com | max at gufi.org
"People who make no mistakes do not usually make anything"