Backup Server

Nicholas Basila mlists at northglobe.com
Sun Dec 28 08:03:45 PST 2003

On Friday 26 December 2003 12:30 pm, samy lancher wrote:
> Hello all,
> I have a 4.5 FreeBSD server. It is our Email, web and database
> server. I would like to setup a backup server so that when the main
> server goes down the backup server takes over its job. Could some one
> please tell me the best way to setup a backup server and also suggest
> some good documentation.

	In order to keep the data synchronized, you could possibly used some
sort of shared scsi or fibre channel drive/array. You'd have to write a
script that would run on the backup and tell it to mount the drive and
startup the databases when the server was down.
        Shared scsi might be the easiest, but you'll have to buy some
Y-terminated scsi cables so that the main machine won't reset the scsi
bus on the backup machine when it (the main machine) goes down.

Nicholas