Moving from a single to dual CPU setup

Gerard Samuel fbsd-questions at trini0.org
Fri Dec 26 11:44:01 PST 2003

On Friday 26 December 2003 02:37 pm, Lowell Gilbert wrote:
> Gerard Samuel <fbsd-questions at trini0.org> writes:
> > Is there a particular sequence of events that must happen when going to a
> > dual CPU setup??
>
> Make sure that you always have a working uniprocessor kernel...

Yeah, thats how it is now.  Im currently running a "uniprocessor kernel" with
one of the PIII 667 processors for the past almost 2 days with no hiccups.
I did a bit of googling, and came up with an instance, that there may be a
problem with FreeBSD 4.9/SMP/ACPI combo.
Even though (well at least I believe) ACPI is off, Im having something similar
to what this google search was saying.
Maybe this weekend, Ill try backing down to 4.8 and see how she does there...