Migrate /usr (ufs) to different partition (ufs2) on different slice

Joseph ginipig at earthlink.net
Fri Dec 26 10:30:47 PST 2003

Is it possible for me, in one way or another, to newfs a ufs2 partition from a differently partitioned slice?

I'm using 5_1_releng at the moment, with no evident problems. My Settings are:

/dev/ad0s2e on / (ufs, local, soft-updates)
devfs on /dev (devfs, local)
/dev/ad0s1g on /home (ufs, local, soft-updates)                    <--- Shared
/dev/ad0s2h on /usr (ufs, local, soft-updates)
/dev/ad0s2f on /var (ufs, local, soft-updates)
procfs on /proc (procfs, local)
/dev/ad0s1h on /usr/ports/distfiles (ufs, local, soft-updates)     <--- Shared
/dev/ad0s1d on /bleh (ufs, local, soft-updates)                    <--- Stray

Additional partions from disklabel:

ad0s1a        <none>        400
ad0s1e        <none>        64
ad0s1f        <none>        256

The aforementioned shared slices used to belong to my 4_Stable Partition that I had initially installed as the main o/s.

A fortnight ago, I decided to test 5_1_releng out on some extra space that I had assigned to document-storage.

The installation went Great! I had all the functionality of 4-Stable, with a few added benefits.

Apparently, it went so smoothly that I had now decided to use ad0s1's (original slice) greater storage capacity to migrate my /usr & /var over.

I will still keep my root partition intact on slice ad0s2e, and I was hoping that there was some way I could painlessly
migrate over the settings.

In essence, what I'm trying to do is:

Merge space from unused ad0s1;
newfs to ufs2;
Create new /usr partition based on ad0s1's given space;
Create new /var partition                   "
Configure Loader to only recognise the 5_1_releng partition.

I understand the implications of this procedure. Namely, I'll lose a Stable Partition, whilst having to deal with Current's quirks.

This isn't a production server, it's more of a hobby machine where I can learn how to implement commands, and understand
coding structure/debug/fix.