Does a make world with NO_BIND=true also omit libresolv?

Lowell Gilbert freebsd-questions-local at be-well.ilk.org
Fri Dec 26 06:58:35 PST 2003

Hari Bhaskaran <subscr at spider.netmails.net> writes:

> Does a make world with NO_BIND=true also omit libresolv?

Sure looks like it to me.

> I have seen many references to using NO_BIND=true to avoid
> compiling the DNS 'server' bind (which I dont use). Does
> it also omit libresolv? Isn't libresolv an integral part of
> the OS? How would gethostbyname work without it?

Well, *bind* is considered a part of the base system, and therefore
you're expected to be on your own if you cut parts of it out.  The
NO_BIND option is really intended for people who are installing DNS
code separately.

> Any help is appreciated.

Hope that helps...

--
Lowell Gilbert, embedded/networking software engineer, Boston area:
		resume/CV at http://be-well.ilk.org:8088/~lowell/resume/