Packages with older dependencies

Kris Kennaway kris at obsecurity.org
Thu Dec 25 22:16:29 PST 2003

On Thu, Dec 25, 2003 at 08:43:30AM -0500, Trey Sizemore wrote:

> I assume i can force the install with the -f flag, but I wanted to know
> if there are any ramifications to doing this on future updates or to
> future program installs?

You don't have to force anything because they're warnings, not errors.
The possible ramification is that the software may not work if it
requires a feature or bug fix that is not present in the older
versions you have installed.

>  What is the easiest way to install gaim (or any
> program for that matter) when a situation such as this arises?  What
> would have happened if I attemted the install via ports instead?

Use portupgrade to update your ports in dependency order.  YOu can
still use the packages if you like.

Kris