How do I disable plip probing on 4.9 install?

Eric Pogroski pogrose at twcny.rr.com
Thu Dec 25 08:27:54 PST 2003

Hi List, (and where/when appropriate, Seasons Greetings!):

I'm having problems installing 4.9 release on a thinkpad 390x. I can get it
to boot, but it stalls at this point:
#
ppc0: <Parralel port> at port 0x378-0x37f irq 7 on isa0
ppc0: Generic Chipset (EPP/NIBBLE) in COMPATIBLE MODE
plip0: <PLIP network interface> on ppbus0
#
and the  machine just hangs, and hangs, for up to an hour before
I just give in and turn it off. I've had OpenBSD, NetBSD, Linux,
and Solaris on this machine w/o issues, but would really
like to install 4.9 (the 5.x stuff does install, but is just too bloated
to live with another OS on my hard drive.). All of the 4.x install
Cd's/floppy's that I have (from 4.3 to 4.9) have this same problem.

Can anyone let me know what the 'magic incantation' is for this,
or point me in the proper direction?

Thanks!

Eric