Visual mail notification in KMail

Malcolm Kay malcolm.kay at internode.on.net
Thu Dec 25 06:44:40 PST 2003

On Thu, 25 Dec 2003 12:47, Chris wrote:
> Happy Holidays folks!
>
> 	Is there a way to tie in a visual mail notifier in KMail? Sorta like how
> Outlook shows the envelope under Windows.

KMail can only notify if it is running.

I run fetchmail in daemon mode to transfer any POP mail from my ISP into
the statndard mailbox /var/mail/'username'.

A number of desktop applications are available to give visual indication
of new mail in the mailbox such as xbiff or xmailbox; I use the latter.

When the mail icon indicates mail present I can call kmail; which is setup
to read from the mailbox; and process it.

Malcolm Kay