more of DAT

T Kellers kellers at njit.edu
Wed Dec 24 14:19:58 PST 2003

I'm currently trying to use a pair of Dell Powervault 120 tape drives.
The drives have a changer magazine in which I load 8 cassettes, one of which
is the cleaning tape.  I've scripted a dump 0, dump 1 progression for a
backup rotation that runs for 2 weeks, then a full dump 0, then again with
the incremental dumps.

When the changer hits the cleaning tape, everything gets stupid.  The
script/computer/scsi interface can not longer communicate with the drive; I
can't eject the tape or do anything until I manually select tape 1 (the
cleaning tape is in position 8) and start the process over.

Is there some mt command I am missing or some other way to communicate with
the drive while it still has the cleaning tape in it?  I'm trying to get this
to work without removing the cleaning tape from the magazine, but I don't
know if it's possible.

FreeBSD 4.9-STABLE

TIA

Tim Kellers