shutdown and reboot

pics picsint at shaw.ca
Tue Dec 23 17:13:18 PST 2003

Hi,
I've had experience with RH Linux but am not very familiar with FreeBsd. For some reason, I cannot get the machine to reboot or to shutdown. I looked at the man pages for the shutdown command, and, for rebooting, typed #shutdown -r now. but I still have the same problem as I did with the reboot command:

Saving firewall state tables:.
Dec 23 17:08:40 syslogd: exiting on signal 15
Waiting (max 60 seconds) for system process 'vnlru' to stop...stopped

and that's where it just freezes!!!
Also, for shutdown, after printing some stuff on the screen, it asks me for a shell then gives me the shell's prompt like nothing happened.
I'm no sys admin so some help is appreciated. Thanks.