what is diff between pkg_delete & make deinstall

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Tue Dec 23 11:35:31 PST 2003

On Tue, Dec 23, 2003 at 02:04:06PM -0500, fbsd_user wrote:
> I see that pkg_delete will delete an port as well as an package.

Ports and pkgs are different sides of the same coin.

> Does pkg_delete do the same thing as the make deinstall command?

Almost exactly the same.  The difference is that pkg_delete(1) will
delete packages by matching the name and version number stored in
/var/db/pkg, whereas make deinstall deletes the all packages installed
from a particular ports directory where the same $PREFIX setting was
used to install as is currently in force.  Unless you're in the habit
of installing multiple copies of ports/pkgs using different $PREFIX
settings, that generally comes out to be the same thing.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way