Question about static libraries and compression

Daniela dgw at liwest.at
Tue Dec 23 10:14:54 PST 2003

On Tuesday 23 December 2003 17:44, User & wrote:
> Hi,
>
> To be honest, I don't really know about the static libraries question. But
> other then that, when you install FreeBSD, and choose for the smallest
> configuration possible during the installation, are you taking up more then
> 700 MB of space then? I don't believe it'll be that much. I reckon that
> recompiling the kernel and remove on unnesessairy things out of it saves
> disk space as well.

A normal installation takes much less, but I also put lots of apps on it.
And I can't compile a minimal kernel because I can't know yet what will be
necessary on the system running it.

> You can also consider building FreeBSD from scratch.

I've already done that, everything is built from scratch.

> Like that you can make sure you're installing only the things you need to
> conserve disk space. Or consider using Knoppix *hides*

I'm trying to build a system like Knoppix, but with more features.