Mouse, ACPI, Award Bios and PR 55473

Dan Strick strick at covad.net
Tue Dec 23 02:51:46 PST 2003

On Tue, 23 Dec 2003, Ion-Mihai Tetcu <itetcu at apropo.ro> wrote:

> On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 20:49:31 -0500
> Brian Black <BlackBsd at Mountain.Net> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >     I have had to deal with this bug sine the new 5.x series.  I have
> > not been able to get a good working copp running.  I was wondering if
> > anyone has a solution for this or if someone is working on the issue.  I
> > had tried to fix the code myself (That didnt work).  Could this bug get
> > looked at for the 5.2R?
> > Thanks,
> > Brian
>
> In 5.1RC1 it is fixed, for me at least (VIA mobo)

Are you sure you mean 5.1RC1 (and not 5.2-RC1)?  This bug (PR 55473) was
definitely present in 5.1-release and I have seen reports that it was
still present in 5.1-current within the last few months.

Danny Pansters <danny at ricin.com> has sent me email suggesting that ACPI
problems are the reason 5.2-RC1 will not boot on my machine (which has
an ICH5 SATA controller configured in native mode).  I have not been able
to verify this since I can't do the install without disabling disks that
are essential to my system.  (Is there a way to disable ACPI before the
kernel boots when booting from 5.2 kern/mfsroot floppies?)

I don't know if this is the same bug or whose "fault" it is.
PR 55473 associates the problem with some flavors of AWARD BIOS.
I do know that this can be a really nasty nasty problem if you have it.
Enough people seem to be affected by this bug that it some special
attention should be given to it before 5.2 is released.  (Assuming of
course that the bug has not already been fixed.)

Dan Strick
strick at covad.net