missing /usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1 ... not found

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Tue Dec 23 02:38:35 PST 2003

On Tue, Dec 23, 2003 at 01:32:07AM -0500, Peter Leftwich wrote:

> What should a user do if their, uhm, /usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1 file is
> missing on 4.7-RELEASE?  Can said user `touch /usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1` as
> a decent fix?  Or mount their drive from another OS and copy over a
> friend's or a web-hosted ld-elf.so.1 file?  Or could I, I mean my friend,
> use some of the contents of "src/" on a 4.7-RELEASE CD-R to recreate (via
> compiling) this needed file??  Please help.  It could be your gift to me.

Without ld-elf.so.1 you won't be able to start up any executable that
uses shared libraries... You might find a copy in
/usr/obj/usr/src/libexec/rtld-elf/ld-elf.so.1 if you've ever built
world on that machine, and there's a statically linked version of
cp(1) in /bin.  Otherwise, yes: the live filesystem CD (Disk 2) will
have a copy or you can extract your drive and mount it in another
machine.

Let this be a lesson to you^Wyour friend not to be too hair triggered
on the delete key...

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way