Question on Web/Content Management packages

Scott W wegster at mindcore.net
Sun Dec 21 16:33:07 PST 2003

Hey all- while this isn't a FreeBSD specific question, I'm hoping
someone may have an answere or two for me, for a system that's capable
of running on FreeBSD.

I've done a fair amount of searching (Google, FreshMeat, lists) and I
seem to be unable to find exactly what I'm looking for-

I'd like to find a Web Content Management system that does the following:

1.  Runs on FreeBSD with Apache.  PHP is fine, as would be Perl.
Backend DB can be PostgreSQL or mysql.

2.  Creates a consistent site feel (CSS templates?) but allows
customization, preferably without an insane amount of 'by hand' work on
the pages.

3.  Has a clean interface to enter a new story/news item/content-
accepting an input text file and using the equivalent of the
preformatted tag woould be fine.  My main issue is I want to worry about
the content, not formatting or integrating into the site by hand.

4.  Allows user logins to be turned off if so equipped.

What it doesn't need:
1.  Forums
2.  User Registration
3.  News/RSS feeds

What I'd like to use it for is this, which hopefully won't sound too
convoluted:
1.  Design a base feel for the site.  Main page with Nav bar with
defined sections, (for example, different Technologies)

2.  Add content by supplying a title and the content itself.  Select
which section (from Nav Bar) it belongs under.  System should then
generate the new static content, add the title under the appropriate Nav
bar, and if so designed, add a link to it in the 'New' section (although
doesn't have to have a New section).  Content should be able to be in
HTML, but most importantly should also be able to be entered into system
via text entry or by reading in a text file, at which point it would
apply the appropriate 'magic' to generate a new static page using the
site's style.

In other words, I really want to do the site layout once and then not
touch it until I need to archive older 'articles.'  I don't want nor
need it to be a 'portal' site linking all over creation, nor do I need
it to have a user forum or registrations, although allowing anonymous
(or possibly registered) comments per story wouldn't be horrible.

This may sound odd, but I've built sites using vi, and I really just
want to focus on content only and let the software handle the
formatting, allowing me to concentrate most of my time on actual
content.  I've looked at ezPublish...wasn't crazy about the licensing,
as while any/all content is free, if I were ever to offer anything for
sale, it then becomes commercial with their licensing.  Their help was
also somewhat lacking and out of date from what I saw.

Drupal seemed to be a decent choice, but it appears that all content has
to either be done in PHP or HTML, which bypasses the text document
requirements.  It's a possbility I can write articles in a WYSIWYG HTML
editor, if only for basic formatting (paragraphs, pre-formatting, lists)
and then copy/paste into Drupals Submission form, but from what I've
seen, there don't seem to be many canned themes available (default site
is simply black text/white background) that I've seen.

Any suggestions, or feedback on what people out there are using for
something similar?

Failing finding anything else, the prime candidate I'm seeing aside from
Drupal would be PHPNuke, but again it seems like overkill considering
the number of features it has that I simply don't need, although I
wouldn't mind hearing of people's experiences with it.

Offlist is fine as this is a bit off-topic..

Thanks,

Scott