DNS || sendmail? (or both?)

Gary Kline kline at thought.org
Sun Dec 21 14:42:17 PST 2003

On Sun, Dec 21, 2003 at 10:11:24PM +0000, Jez Hancock wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 21, 2003 at 12:49:00PM -0800, Gary Kline wrote:
> > 	Anybody know what magic incantations are necessary to make
> > 	my mail server aware of my internal hosts??  If this is a
> > 	DNS matter, I didn't catch it in DNS AND BIND (4th ed).
> Try adding all the hosts you accept mail for to your local-host-names
> file - usually /etc/mail/local-host-names by default - check the line
> starting 'Fw-o' in /etc/mail/sendmail.cf.

	Ok, in local-host-names I've already got:
	^ethic
	^foobar
	^plato
	^tao

	neatly packed in.  Just the local host names.  (Gee!)

> MX records should also be setup for each domain you want to accept
> mail for.  Perhaps paste the DNS entries for the domains you're having
> trouble with if you still can't get it to work.

	Here is what I *had*, last attempt:

thought.org.   IN       MX      1 ethic.thought.org
thought.org.   IN       MX      1 foobar.thought.org
thought.org.   IN       MX      1 plato.thought.org
thought.org.    IN      MX       5 tao.thought.org.

	Do I need to list my internal IP's in the "IN A" address
	records?  ethic is 10.244, tao is 10.247, &c.

	gary

--
   Gary Kline     kline at thought.org   www.thought.org     Public service Unix