replacing named 8 with 9

Trevor Cornpropst bsdguru at cox.net
Sun Dec 21 11:01:29 PST 2003

On Sunday 21 December 2003 11:41 am, Paul Phillips wrote:
> If I understand correctly, both freeBSD 4.9 and the 5 series use BIND 8.
>
> I would like to replace this with BIND 9.  What is the proper way to do
> so? Do I need to uninstall BIND 8 in some way before using ports or
> packages to install BIND 9?
>
> Thanks
> PCP

There is no clean way to uninstall BIND 8 as it is built with the OS. If this
is going to be a permanent DNS server, I would set "NO_BIND=true" in your
/etc/make.conf. This will prevent the building and installation of BIND 8
when you build/installworld.

Just specify the path to named in your /etc/rc.conf to point to the version of
named you wish to run. So, set named_program in /etc/rc.conf to
/usr/local/sbin/named.

Trevor Cornpropst