backup drive bootabel

Noah admin2 at enabled.com
Sat Dec 20 12:05:59 PST 2003

> To deal with a standard MBR, you have to use fdisk(8).  Try:
>
>     # fdisk -B -b /boot/mbr -i da1
>
> This will walk you through the current settings interactively,
> letting you generate a slice table, change the active slice and
> rewrite the boot code.
>
> Of course, just to confuse you, fdisk(8) will talk all about
> "partitions", but be assured it actually means "slices" in *BSD speak.
> (partitions are generated within each slice using disklabel(8) which
> is a BSD specific thing.  slices are generic for practically all
> OSes that can run on the IA32 architecture from DOS onwards.)

OKay Matthew,

I am still a little inclear here.  do I need to chnage what BIOS thinks.

this is the first interactive prompt that I receive when running the fdisk
command:

so I said no:

---- snip ---

#  fdisk -B -b /boot/mbr -i da
fdisk: cannot open disk /dev/da: No such file or directory
typhoon# fdisk -B -b /boot/mbr -i da1
******* Working on device /dev/da1 *******
parameters extracted from in-core disklabel are:
cylinders=8924 heads=255 sectors/track=63 (16065 blks/cyl)

Figures below won't work with BIOS for partitions not in cyl 1
parameters to be used for BIOS calculations are:
cylinders=8924 heads=255 sectors/track=63 (16065 blks/cyl)

Do you want to change our idea of what BIOS thinks ? [n]

--- snip ----

**** then do I say yes here?

-- snip ---

Media sector size is 512
Warning: BIOS sector numbering starts with sector 1
Information from DOS bootblock is:
The data for partition 1 is:
sysid 165,(FreeBSD/NetBSD/386BSD)
    start 63, size 143363997 (70001 Meg), flag 80 (active)
        beg: cyl 0/ head 1/ sector 1;
        end: cyl 1023/ head 254/ sector 63
Do you want to change it? [n]

--- snip ----

and no to the rest of the partitions/slices prompts?

Thanks in advance,

Noah