Different versions of ports...

Erik Trulsson ertr1013 at student.uu.se
Fri Dec 19 12:51:29 PST 2003

On Fri, Dec 19, 2003 at 02:34:25PM -0500, John Wilson wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> I've recently started playing around with X and various desktop managers.
> There is one point that seems a little troublesome however...  after
> recently browsing about the installed ports/packages on my system, it
> appears that different programs require different versions of one
> particular package.  Here is one such instance:
>
> glib-1.2.10_10                      =   up-to-date with port
> glib-2.2.3                          =   up-to-date with port
>
> Is this going to cause any trouble at some later point?  If so, what would
> be the best way to remove the earlier version and be sure that only the
> newest version remains?

In that particular case there should not be any problem.
As you note some programs require glib-1.x while other require glib-2.x.
Both these versions of glib can be installed at the same time without
any problem. This is also the case for several other programs that have
multiple versions in the ports system.
(Note: Not all programs can have different versions installed at the
same time.  E.g. it would be a bad idea to have XFree86 3.x and 4.x
installed at the same time.)

If you do by any mischance install two versions of the same program
that cannot coexist then the best way to fix that is usually to delete
both, and then install the one you want.

--
<Insert your favourite quote here.>
Erik Trulsson
ertr1013 at student.uu.se