How to mount FreeBSD from Debian or any Linux possibly

Peter Leftwich Hostmaster at Video2Video.Com
Fri Dec 19 11:51:06 PST 2003

Ruben de Groot <mail25 at bzerk.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 19, 2003 at 12:48:40AM -0500, Peter Leftwich typed:
>> Here is how to mount your freebsd partition from Linux (in my
>> case, it was a CD-R of the Debian-based bootable known as
>> Knoppix available from www.knoppix.net).  As long as your Linux
>> The only thing I could not figure out was how to "su" my
>> currently-running X session.  That would allow me to use KDE and
>> Konqueror to browse graphically to the directory
>> /mnt/freebsdpartition ... anyone know how?
>
> Not needed. try:
> mount -t ufs -o ufstype=44bsd,uid=knoppix /dev/hda2
/mnt/freebsdpartition
> (that is, if your X session is running as user "knoppix".)

My X session *was* unfortunately running as "knoppix" but I could do
a Ctrl-Alt-F1 (or Alt-F1 I forget) and go to the vtty there, type in
just "passwd" and then be prompted for a new root password so that
in my X session, I could run a terminal window and "su" then type in
THAT new password.

(Sorry; Was that explained well?)

Anyways.  The icon for the mounted "freebsdpartition" had a padlock
icony, hence, it seemed that only root had GUI (graphical user
interface) access to the mounted drive!

Nuts.

--
Peter Leftwich
President & Founder, Video2Video Services