releases and stable for dummies

Josh Paetzel friar_josh at tcbug.org
Fri Dec 19 10:06:49 PST 2003

On Fri, Dec 19, 2003 at 11:06:20AM -0500, Ron Sweeney wrote:

> Can somebody please give me a brief overview of the roadmap between
> releases and stable and how to determine which release is truly STABLE for
> a production environment?
>
> I have struggled making any sense with the number of releases and
> documentation.

To make a long story short, a RELEASE is a snapshot of STABLE from a
particular moment in time.  The development of STABLE is frozen for a couple
weeks prior to a RELEASE to make sure that a RELEASE is as stable and bug-free
as possible.  This is true of the 4.x line of development.  For 5.x a RELEASE
is a snapshot of CURRENT.  The official party line is that 4.x is for
production servers, while 5.x is for early adopters, although a fair number of
people are using 5.x machines in production environments without issue.

See the following link for the rest of the story...

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/current-stable.html

Josh Paetzel