rdist to update some lines

Antoine Jacoutot ajacoutot at lphp.org
Fri Dec 19 03:47:51 PST 2003

Hi :)

I'm actually using rdist for centralized management of certain files
(/etc/hosts, /etc/motd...).
Is there a way to use rdist (or any other tools alike) too update a file on a
remote server instead of blindly copying the new file over ?
What I mean is, for exemple, I would like to share some lines in
/etc/make.conf among my servers (but not the entire file), but all of them
aren't the same so I do not want /etc/make.conf to be the exact same on all
my boxes, only like 3 or 4 lines.
Is there a way to do this ?
Note that I already had a look at cfengine which does what I'm asking, but it
is way too complicated/feature rich for my needs.

I would appreciate any inputs...
Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Antoine