Xfree86 install on 5.1

Scott I. Remick scott at sremick.net
Thu Dec 18 12:07:49 PST 2003

On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 11:18:30 -0500, Chris Neustrup wrote:

> I recently upgraded from 5.0 to 5.1 on my thinkpad.  When this worked OK,
> I tried to upgrade to the newest XFree86 4.30.x  It filed due to patch
> mismatches.  As I tried other earlier flavors of 4.X it never worked
> cleanly.   Does anyone have a suggestion to get a stable 3.X X server
> running again?

All things considered, I think it'd be much more worth your while to
determine the reason for your XFree86 4.x problems. When you tried to
install X, did you work from an updated ports tree?

Also note that 5.2 is due out next month. There's always the chance that,
if your problems are actually related to bugs, that they will be fixed in
the next release.