how do I change ftp site pkg_add -r uses

Lowell Gilbert freebsd-questions-local at be-well.ilk.org
Thu Dec 18 07:55:37 PST 2003

top-post.  don't Please
<http://www.faqs.org/docs/jargon/T/top-post.html>

  > There's an environment variable described in the manual page for
  > pkg_add which claims to do that.

> Yes I read that, but it does not say how to display current setting
> or how to change it.

To see the current setting, you just use the program and it tells you
where it's going.  To change it, you set the variable to a different
value in your environment.

How you set an environment variable depends on what shell you use, but
for sh-style shells, the example from the manual page would be

 # PACKAGEROOT='ftp://ftp3.FreeBSD.org'
 # export PACKAGEROOT

Please read the Handbook section on "Shells".
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/shells.html