master.passwd -- securing

Sergey 'DoubleF' Zaharchenko doublef at tele-kom.ru
Thu Dec 18 06:26:28 PST 2003

On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 11:44:14 +0000
"Rhys John" <elite_bizkit at hotmail.com> probably wrote:

> Both accounts are now active but i would like to remove the encrypted
> password from master.passwd and replace it with a *. Is this possible with
> "vipw"?

It doesn't matter what you use for editing your password files (at least
for this point).

If you have a `*' in your master.passwd, that means that direct console
logins for that user are disabled. If you are so much embarassed about
root having a password, you may use sudo (from ports) and allow a
certain user to "sudo sh" to gain root priveleges, for instance. He (you
as a user) will then have to enter his own password, not root's. This
way, you exchange a cracker's job of cracking your root password for a
job of cracking your user password, so it's not much more secure:).