DOS of named

Robert Eckardt Robert.Eckardt at Robert-Eckardt.de
Thu Dec 18 02:58:55 PST 2003

On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 20:28:10 -0800, Kris Kennaway wrote
> On Tue, Dec 16, 2003 at 10:01:33PM +0100, Robert Eckardt wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > what measures can I take against this irregular appearing Denial-Of-Service
> > attacks of named which is filling my logfiles (messages, daemon, all.log)
> > with messages like "sysquery: no addrs found for root NS" for minutes at
> > a rate of 4000 lines/sec?
> >
> > I'm using named 8.3.3-REL on FBSD-5.0R.
>
> Both are very old and have a number of known problems.  Upgrade to
> the latest versions.

Hi Kris,

You can't be serious. :-)

I know that my release isn't at the front of development.
But 5.0R is the latest release known to work on my EPoX MB with
a HighPoint 372N controller. (I don't want to test every new
release, when there is no indication of change in support for
my RAID controller.)

And as far as named is concerned: From looking at the discussion
on their mailing list this problem happens for a wide variety of
releases on different operating systems, but with no one having
the intention to fix it. (I even found the question I asked more
than 7 years ago on this list to the very same problem. At that
time the computers just weren't fast enough to write 4000 lines/sec.)
Thus, I cannot accept the simple call for the new release.
Instead I hope for a solution to the problem.
(Do you install the chinese X-fonts when you have a problem with
your FCAL controller just because SUN says that the patch isn't
up-to-date? I don't. I read the relaes notes.)

I didn't mean to apear rude.

Regards,
Robert