4.7-RELEASE bootable CD-R to replace files

Peter Leftwich Hostmaster at Video2Video.Com
Wed Dec 17 19:28:32 PST 2003

On Wed, 17 Dec 2003, Josh Paetzel wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 17, 2003 at 10:36:33AM -0800, Peter Leftwich wrote:
> > Hello fellow BSD'ers!  Happy holidays.
> > I had 4.7-RELEASE on my box and then I accidentally deleted a file
> > as root (I think it was /usr/lib/ld-elf.so.1 or .8) and now the
> > system is not bootable anymore (I believe this affected many
> > binaries such as /sbin/init and my tcsh shell)!
> >
> > Could someone please advise me about booting into this CD-R I have
> > of 4.7-RELEASE and reinstalling (similar to upgrading, for which
> > there is sparse information at www.freebsd.org)??
> >
> > Do I just select "Label" from /stand/sysinstall (as fdisk
> > information looks fine) and label the root mountpoint "/" then
> > select bin, compat, libraries etc or will this possibly OVERWRITE a
> > directory I currently have (mounted) such as /root/mydocuments/ ??
> >
> > Thanks to anyone who can clarify this procedure.
> > PS: Please reply CC: to my email address as well as the list.

> This is where a copy of the Live CD would really come in handy...you could
> boot off that, mount your hard drive, and copy over the missing file and be
> back in business.  I looked about the net for a copy of it for you and was
> unable to find 4.7, although it's a slim chance that 4.8 might work for you,
> the worst thing that can happen is that it doesn't work.

Awesome plan!  I didn't even think of that trick.  Actually, I thought if I
could find my boot floppies, I could use that extra "Holographic Shell"
diskette and "fix-it shell" to put a couple files back in place... anyone
who has used these mysterious strangers *grin* knows what I am talking
about when I say there would be some dread involved with that!!

> Here's the link if you want to give it a go:
> ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/i386/ISO-IMAGES/4.8/4.8-RELEASE-i386-disc2.iso
> Josh Paetzel

Awesome again!  Thank you for saving me the search for the ISO images.  I'm
going to download 5.1 or 5.2 and just upgrade while I am at it.  Also, I'll
break down and just f&^@$%#@$'ing install the 19Mb's of ports.  :)

And there was much rejoicing.  Thank you for your help, Josh.

--
Peter Leftwich
President & Founder, Video2Video Services