Postfix and FreeBSD question

Ihsan Junaidi freebsd at synthexp.net
Tue Dec 16 15:42:31 PST 2003

jwilliams at pop.courtesymortgage.com wrote:

> My question is that, by default, FreeBSD has sendmail up and running. I
> seem to vaguely remember that there were a few extra steps that were needed
> to remove and install postfix correctly.
yes, there is. in /etc/rc.conf, disable sedmail by including this line:
sendmail_enable=NONE

this will disable sendmail's incoming and outgoing mailing functions.

once you have postfix installed, my personal preference is to symlink
/usr/local/sbin/postfix to /usr/local/etc/rc.d/postfix (postfix binary
accepts start/stop args in compliance with freebsd's rc architecture)
rather than using the rc.conf to start postfix at boot time. you can use
rc.conf by enabling sendmail but with different startup flags. during
postfix port installation, you'll be prompted for the correct usage. the
former method is perhaps more cleaner and less convoluting.