comparison of files

Chris Pressey cpressey at catseye.mine.nu
Tue Dec 16 13:50:34 PST 2003

On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 16:38:15 -0500 (EST)
"Brent Bailey" <mrb at bmyster.com> wrote:

> yes sorted in numerical order by IP
> --
> Brent Bailey CCNA
> Bmyster LLC
> Computer Networking and Webhosting
> Network Engineer, Webmaster, President
> http://www.bmyster.com
> mrb at bmyster.com
> 207-247-8330
>

> > On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 16:31:22 -0500 (EST)
> > "Brent Bailey" <mrb at bmyster.com> wrote:
> >
> >> hello,
> >>
> >> I have been trying to write a shell script that will compare 2
> >files> and generate a 3rd.
> >>
> >> i have a list of abusive IP's generated by our router. I want to
> >> compare it against a list of known abuse IPs ..and have it create a
> >> file of repeat offenders.
> >>
> >> ive tired to use "comm" to compare file1 against file2 doing
> >something> like
> >>
> >> comm -12i file1 file2 >file3
> >>
> >> however it doesnt seem to work....any suggestions ?
> >
> > Are file1 and file2 sorted?
> >
> > -Chris

Sorry, "it doesnt seem to work" isn't a lot to go on.

What output did you expect, and what output did you actually get?

Have you tried different options to 'comm'?  If the list contains only
numeric IP addresses, the '-i' option isn't going to do you much good,
for example.

Have you tried 'diff file1 file2'?  Do you get the output that seems
reasonable from that?

-Chris

P.S. please keep freebsd-questions at freebsd.org CC'ed, and please don't
top-post.