Single user mode, non writeable /tmp

Lowell Gilbert freebsd-questions-local at be-well.ilk.org
Mon Dec 15 14:44:31 PST 2003

Joachim Dagerot <freebsd at dagerot.nu> writes:

> I just posted a problem regarding vinum where this question was
> hidden:
>

> My system starts with an error:
>
> "init: /bin/sh on /etc/rc terminated abnormally, going to single user
> mode"
>
> This is because a disk has broken down. But my question is what tasks
> do I need to take to be able to run the system. The crashed disk
> contained /home and /usr.
>
> I can't even edit the fstab because the /tmp disk is not writeable.

This can be solved using the same technique as the FAQ
"I made a mistake in rc.conf, or another startup file, and now I
cannot edit it because the filesystem is read-only. What should I do?":
 http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/faq/admin.html#RCCONF-READONLY
--
Lowell Gilbert, embedded/networking software engineer, Boston area:
		resume/CV at http://be-well.ilk.org:8088/~lowell/resume/