socket: no buffer space available

Andrew Thomson andrewjt at applecomm.net
Sun Dec 14 21:15:42 PST 2003

I've got a perl script doing some p5-sybase stuff for me.. However after
a while, it fails with the following error message:

.."socket: No buffer space available"...

I've seen other reports from other uses getting this problem however no
clear responses on a fix.

This script used to work find on my 5.0-RELEASE box now I'm trying it on
a 5.1-RELEASE box. I admit the new box is a lower spec - less cpu and
less memory - so that may affect some of the default sysctl values???

I've tried tweaking a couple of sysctl entries however nothing has
gotten me over this hurdle.

Below are some relevant(??) sysctls.

kern.ipc.maxsockbuf: 1048576
kern.ipc.sockbuf_waste_factor: 8