Jdk 1.4.2 + FreeBSD 5.1 = applet fails

Ricardo Britto netchaos at terra.com.br
Sun Dec 14 19:18:54 PST 2003

Greetings!

I've just installed jdk1.4.2 via ports on my FreeBSD 5.1. I've already
tested java compiler and interpreter and seems to be ok. Also, I have
run an applet demo that is included with jdk - ok!

But the problem is when I try to open an applet in a remote site (ICQ
Go! for example). It always fails on opening and create a java core
dump file. I've already tested with Konqueror, Opera, Mozilla and
Mozilla Firebird browsers: all can run applets locally (except for opera).

There are some messages that appear. One example in Opera (with the
option -javadebug):

"opera: [java] failed to load libawt.so:
/usr/local/jdk1.4.2/jre/lib/i386//libawt.so: Undefined symbol "__xuname"
opera: [java] failed to load libjawt.so:
/usr/local/jdk1.4.2/jre/lib/i386//libawt.so: Undefined symbol "__xuname"
opera: [java] failed to load a suitable awt library.  Java will not work"

I searched in internet and found that some people are having the some
problem, but no solutions had been provided.

Any suggestions?

PS: I've already tried to install:
diablojdk (doesn't run on free 5.1)
linux-ibm-jdk14 (errors)