How to list all packages in a given category?

Jez Hancock jez.hancock at munk.nu
Sun Dec 14 15:44:52 PST 2003

On Sun, Dec 14, 2003 at 03:27:47PM -0800, Chris Pressey wrote:
> Apologies in advance if this is a stupid question, but I couldn't find
> anything relevant in the man pages or with Google:
mail list archives are a good bet too (MARC for example) :P

> How can I list all the packages I have installed in a certain category?
pkg_info -ao will list all packages including the origin path of the
port (the part of the ports tree it was originally installed from), so
as a hack you could do something like:

pkg_info -ao | grep -B 3 net

to list all packages in the 'net' category. With a bit of scripting you
could even make it a bit more readable.

the -O option is close but a bit awkward:

[23:40:45] root at users /root# pkg_info -O databases/mysql323-client
The following installed package(s) has databases/mysql323-client origin:
mysql-client-3.23.58

unfortunately it doesn't let you do '-O databases' alone.

--
Jez Hancock
 - System Administrator / PHP Developer

http://munk.nu/