please help me

Peter Risdon peter at circlesquared.com
Sat Dec 13 08:31:48 PST 2003

siavash mahjoob wrote:

>hi
>Dear Mr or Mrs
>my name is siavash mahjoob
>i using samba 2.0.10 at freebsd 4.4
>i login wth root password.
>i configure smb.conf at /usr/local/etc/smb.conf, then
>using smbpasswd for create password
>for a user that created my me(admin)
>when we want to login to /home from windows 2000
>server a logon screen open that have two option
>connect as &
>password. i write \\s1\home & password(admin
>password:root). then i recive this message
>\\s1\home is not accessible, the specified username is
>invalid.

I find this slightly difficult to follow, but if you have created a user
called "admin" and their home directory is at /home/admin then the path
to their home directory from a Windows machine will be \\s1\admin - the
entire /home directory will not be shared under your configuration, and
this is a Good Thing.

If you do have a real FreeBSD and samba user called admin, it might be
an idea to rename or comment out the guest account line. As it stands,
admin is the name to use when connecting as a guest, which will conflict
with the real user account admin.

It's perhaps easier first to browse to \\s1 then choose from the
available shares there. This will also help you distinguish between
authentication errors and errors in path names. If you can't connect to
\\s1 then you have an authentication error and can fix that it isolation.

Are the ip address ranges in the hosts allow line correct? How about
interfaces? I see you seem to be using the defaults. Do you really have
two interfaces in the computer from which you want samba to be
available? Is your FreeBSD server really a WINS server too?

Unless you have a special reason to use domain logons, it might be
better to use workgroup. Are the various logon files and tailored
configuration files set up? If not, again you might perhaps lose the
domain logon.

It would be helpful to look in the various samba logs to see what errors
are thrown up by your connection attempts.

PWR.

>#
>[global]

<snip>

>   hosts allow = 192.168.1. 192.168.2. 127.

<snip>

>   interfaces = 192.168.1.2/24 192.168.1.1/24

<snip>

>   wins server = 192.168.1.2

<snip>