Router/Gateway

horio shoichi bugsgrief at bugsgrief.net
Fri Dec 12 21:34:12 PST 2003

On Thu, 11 Dec 2003 13:45:56 +0200
"Extech" <extech at dod.co.za> wrote:
> Hello
>
> I have looked through the archives and I have read the manual (Advance Networking) but could not find specific to address my question.
>
> I want to set up a FreeBSD 5.x box as a router/gateway on a permanent connection with a fixed IP address,
> there will also be other machines with fixed IP addresses (not 192.168.x.x but proper IP's)
> on this network.
>
> something like this:
>
> 	To internet exchange on T1 Leased Line
> 		   | dc0 (196.x.x.1)
> 		---------
> 		FreeBSD
> 		router/
> 		gateway
> 		---------
> 		   | lr0
> 		---------
> 		switch/hub
> 		---------
> 		|	|
> 		|	|
>       196.x.x.2	|	| 196.x.x.3
> 	    --------  	--------
> 	    Server 1  	Server 2
> 	    --------  	--------
>

> Obviously I have to have two network cards in the router/gateway (dc0 and lr0),
> I assume that I will configure dc0 with my fixed IP, but what do I do with lr0?
>
> Can somebody please point me in the right direction.
>
> Thanks
> extech

A popular solution is the route/gateway not have ip addresses that belong to
allocated global ips, and use bridge configuration.

If bridging is inadequate in your case, the thing pretty much depends on
the "cloud" one hop away from dc0 interface. Describe it (modem/router,
 configuable/not, etc).

horio shoichi