growfs on /

Malcolm Kay malcolm.kay at internode.on.net
Fri Dec 12 19:33:03 PST 2003

On Sat, 13 Dec 2003 13:08, Jeff LaMarche wrote:
> Hey all...
>
> Have FreeBSD 4.8-STABLE, and I've run out of space on the slice /
>
> I really want to avoid having to backup and reformat, or doing anything
> that's super-time-intensive - from reading various posts and blogs
> related to FreeBSD, it appears to me that I can resolve my issue by
> using growfs - the next slice after / is /tmp which has plenty of room
> free, and can afford to be reduced by a little. It doesn't seem to be
> affecting system use except that I can't add new users.
>
> Here's what I look like now:
>
> Filesystem  1K-blocks    Used    Avail Capacity  Mounted on
> /dev/ad0s1a    128990  127682    -9010   108%    /

I should have thought that 125Mb or so should have been ample for / when
/tmp, /var and /usr have there own partitions.

Your mail prompted me to look at what I have under / and was somewhat
surprised to find about 90Mb. But when I examined this I found about 40Mb
was pure junk -- things like temproot, modules.old and etc.old1 left over from
a system update and a core file or two.

Have you been running X applications (especially browsers) as root ---- a
practice frowned upon, mostly I guess, because it can swallow large gulps of
space on /.

I would certainly look at getting the total file size down in / rather than
trying to grow it.

Malcolm