Fetchmail piping to sendmail, DNS probs causing POP server timeout

David Kelly dkelly at HiWAAY.net
Fri Dec 12 19:24:26 PST 2003

On Dec 12, 2003, at 7:07 PM, Derrick Norris wrote:

> Like many of us, I get a *lot* of spam coming into my ISP-assigned
> email address.  Since I originally installed this system (at release
> 4.2) I have used fetchmail piping through to sendmail to fetch from 3
> POP accounts.  I don't run DNS on my box and use my ISP's DNS servers
> for resolution.

Is there some reason you pipe thru sendmail? Bypass sendmail with
something like this as the first line of your ~/.fetchmailrc file:

defaults proto pop3 fetchall mda "/usr/local/bin/procmail -d dkelly"

Everybody uses procmail, right?  :-)

Make sure you have something like this at the start of your
~/.procmailrc file:

MAILDIR=$HOME/Mail        #you'd better make sure it exists
DEFAULT=/var/mail/$LOGNAME

David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly at interactplus.com