Post-installation configuration problems with FreeBSD 4.4

Walt Haynes whaynes at ptd.net
Fri Dec 12 08:28:03 PST 2003

    I've installed FreeBSD 4.4 from the CD-ROM included in my FreeBSD Unleashed book (I installed 4.4 instead of 5.0 because it's supposedly more stable; 5.0 is a pre-release snapshot.). When I try to do the X Server configuration stuff, the server won't start and, consequently, X-Windows won't start. My video card is CinePak Codec by Radius, Inc. and my monitor is a 15" ASTVision 4i (Intel (r) 82810 graphics controller with 4MB memory, screen refresh rate of 60 hertz, resolution is 800x600, and 24 bit color quality. For the card option, CinePak doesn't show up in the list of potentials. Can you tell me what I might be doing wrong in my attempt to configure X server ? By the way, I have FreeBSD installed in a primary partition on a system on which I also run Windows XP Professional with Boot US boot manager. I'd appreciate any information that you can provide. Thank you.