FreeBSD 4.x-RELEASE on the intel 875 or 865-series chipsets

Brian Costello btx at mojo.calyx.net
Fri Dec 12 05:43:14 PST 2003

Hi,

I posted a question about FreeBSD on Shuttle hardware yesterday, but figured
my subject line might've been too vague for people to recognize.  Anyway, I
am wondering if FreeBSD 4.x will work with drives hooked into either of
those chipsets' onboard SATA.  Specifically, the harddrives are western
digital 10,000rpm serial ata drives, and I wonder if FreeBSD can handle
booting off of them.  I imagine that FreeBSD doesn't support serial ata
natively, but I'd think there would be some sort of compatibility mode.  Has
anyone had success with this using the intel 875 and 865 series chipsets?
Are there any other issues with that chipset and FreeBSD 4.x that I should
be aware of?

Note: I'm only interested in booting the system - if that means the drives
have to run in polling mode, or ATA-33 or without ultra-DMA, so be it - I
just want to know if that config CAN work.

I read on the linux mailing lists that this exact config DOES work on linux
2.4 kernels, in some sort of compatibility mode.  Will this be usable on
FreeBSD as well?

Thank you,
bc