CVSUPIT pkg_add 90% good/10% strange

Richard Shea freebsdQ0 at richardshea.fastmail.fm
Thu Dec 11 15:49:40 PST 2003

On Tue, 9 Dec 2003 10:41:50 -0800, "Chris Pressey"
<cpressey at catseye.mine.nu> said:
> On Tue, 09 Dec 2003 15:14:38 +1300
> "Richard Shea" <freebsdQ0 at richardshea.fastmail.fm> wrote:
>

> > On Mon, 8 Dec 2003 15:40:39 -0800, "Chris Pressey"
> > <cpressey at catseye.mine.nu> said:
> > > On Tue, 09 Dec 2003 12:00:15 +1300
> > > "Richard Shea" <freebsdQ0 at richardshea.fastmail.fm> wrote:
> > > [...]
> > >
> > > Hm, I would say a bad state, but not *very* bad.  Looks like cvsupit
> > > is partially installed?  You might be able to fix it up by running
> > >
> > >   pkg_delete cvsupit-3.1
> > >
> > > which should delete any files that were installed by the cvsupit
> > > package (and possibly give you some warnings when trying to delete
> > > ones that weren't.)
> > >
> > That's a good idea, I hadn't thought of it. However strange stuff
> > persists because when I tried that I got ...
> >
> > trinidad# pkg_delete cvsupit-3.1
> > pkg_delete: no such package 'cvsupit-3.1' installed
> >
> > ... - that's even though it just ran ! I then started looking in to
> > the relevant ports directory and this is what I saw ...
> >
> > trinidad# pwd
> > /usr/ports/net/cvsupit
> > trinidad# ls
> > work
> > trinidad# cd work
> > trinidad# ls -l
> > total 0
> > -rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  0 Dec  7 22:59 .build_done.cvsupit-3.1
> > -rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  0 Dec  7 22:59 .configure_done.cvsupit-3.1
> > -rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  0 Dec  7 22:59 .extract_done.cvsupit-3.1
> > -rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  0 Dec  7 22:59 .patch_done.cvsupit-3.1
> > trinidad#
> >
> > ... I take it those files are used as a form of logging ?
>
> Sort of.  They're little 'cookies' that help indicate which phases have
> been completed thus far, to the ports 'make' scripts.
>
> > So on the
> > one hand it's 'build_done' but on the other hand pkg_delete doesn't
> > know about the package !
>
> Not too surprising; if the install had completed sucessfully, there'd be
> a '.install_done.cvsupit-3.1' file there too.
>
> > Just did a ...
> >
> > trinidad# find / -name "*vsupi*" -print
> >
> > ... and didn't find anything elsewhere in the system either ...
> >
> > All in all a bit of a mystery - anyone else fancy having a go at
> > explaining what might have happened or what it all means ;-)
>
> Most likely, it built cvsupit sucessfully, then went to install it, but
> found something it didn't like, so it stopped there.
>
> Chances are it stopped before it installed anything - especially in
> light of your find command.  In which case, your system isn't in a bad
> state after all.
>
> But if you want to be *really* certain, have a look at
> /usr/ports/net/cvsupit/pkg-plist.  It should contain a list of all the
> files the port wanted to install.  You can search for each of them in
> your system, and delete them if you find them.

Hi Chris -  Thanks for the advice and sorry for the delay. I've taken a
look in /usr/ports/net/cvsupit but pkg-plist does not exist so given all
the other factors I think I will conclude that things are probably OK.

I suppose one day I will crack this updating of FreeBSD machines. To date
I have been using FreeBSD for three years and I have two different
experiences

(A) a machine I installed 3.x on three years ago have never touched since
and it runs beautifully (still I worry
about security holes), everything I could ask for.

(B) two other machines I have installed 4.x on in the last 6 months
(both, to some degree 'play' machines). On both have attempted to update
sources etc via CVSUP and have never had anything but grief/pain/boredom.
I'm sure there are people out there who do this all the time and it all
works but I'm not one of them ! Maybe one day !

thanks again for your advice.

regards

richard.