Powering off after shutdown...

Charles Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Thu Dec 11 14:43:43 PST 2003

On Dec 11, 2003, at 5:32 PM, Alex (ander Sendzimir) wrote:
> When I issue the command
>
> shutdown -p now
>
> the system shuts down normally. However, I have to manually turn the
> power off. Does anyone know how to get the system to turn power off? I
> have wake-on-lan working. So, this is the other end of the process.

You didn't mention which version of FreeBSD you were using, but the
capability you're asking about depends on having APM (4.x) or APCI
(5.x) configured.  Change this line in the GENERIC kernel:

# Power management support (see LINT for more options)
device          apm0    at nexus? disable flags 0x20 # Advanced Power
Management

...to "enable" and rebuild your kernel.

--
-Chuck