Why userland , basesystem and Kernel are together?!

Stephane Bortzmeyer stephane at laperouse.internatif.org
Wed Dec 10 19:55:11 PST 2003

On Tue, Dec 09, 2003 at 03:42:17PM -0500,
 Scott W <wegster at mindcore.net> wrote
 a message of 104 lines which said:

> 1.  Kernel.  Umm, I hope I don't have to expain this one ;-)

> 2.  Core system- This one can likely be argued a bit with bsd (and

> 3.  userland apps- Kernel and core make a rudimentary system, but

I don't have the Handbook to check and I'm offline at the present time
but I'm suprised. I thought that "userland" meaned "everything which
is not the kernel", including the base system.

What you call "userland", "everything but the base system", seems to
be what the Handbook calls the ports.