Printing from FreeBSD to Windows XP

Peter Risdon peter at circlesquared.com
Wed Dec 10 13:43:41 PST 2003

Marc Smith wrote:

> Hello, I have a small home network with 2 computers, one running
> FreeBSD and the other with Windows XP Professional. I have a printer
> hooked up to the Windows XP machine and I would like to be able to
> print to it from my FreeBSD box. I have already install "Printer
> Services for Unix" in Windows.

That's more for printing to Unix, and other tcp/ip networked, print servers.

> I am just a little confused on how to setup the FreeBSD part.

Try CUPS, which can work with smbclient to print to windows shared
printers. If you like, just use smbclient alone. If you installed samba
(which is a good idea in a mixed network like this), you should already
have it all.

PWR