I can't connect to internet. Plz help me

Charles Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Wed Dec 10 13:18:34 PST 2003

On Dec 10, 2003, at 4:11 PM, nil ban wrote:
> I can't connect to internet.
> [ ... ]
> names are mail.myisp.com(pop3)and smtp.mail.com.
> I tried using kpp and I could connect to my isp ( I am telling this
> because pppd does run ) but whenever I try to
> visit a website it doesn't work, browser says unknown host.

Sounds like /etc/resolv.conf hasn't been setup to point to valid DNS
servers.  Try adding a line like:

nameserver 4.2.2.1

...to /etc/resolv.conf and see whether that solves your problem, only
you should use the nameservers your ISP gives you if you know what they
are.  You can also configure PPP to set this file up for you when you
connect via the "enable dns" config option in /etc/ppp/ppp.conf.
[Maybe for userland PPP rather than kernel-based PPP?]

--
-Chuck