How to make printer print faster?

Chris Howells howells at kde.org
Wed Dec 10 07:44:33 PST 2003

On Wednesday 10 December 2003 11:13, Marco Beishuizen wrote:
> I got the impression that the printer is processing the data coming from
> Windows a lot faster than when the data is coming from FreeBSD.

I have a similiar "issue" with a HP LaserJet 4 Plus, which is capable of
12ppm. It's connected to my network using a JetDirect card on 100mbit switch,
so speed of the interface shouldn't be an issue. I'm using the hpijs drivers
currently. I would also agree that it seems to print more slowly than in
Windows. My impression is that the LaserJet 4 is quite an old printer and has
a relatively slow processor and therefore seems to spend quite a long time
processing each page. I don't know for sure but I think it's just simply that
it has to do more processing for UNIX print jobs.

E.g. on WIndows it looks something like this:

Application > PCL -> Printer

On FreeBSD, mine does something like this:

Application -> PostScript -> PCL -> Printer

I was wondering if the PCL generated from PostScript was rather more
complicated than that generated by the Windows driver and therefore required
more processing.

also take a look at (misleadingly-named) www.linuxprinting.org. They
reccommend the use of the pxlmono driver, and say that it's much faster than
others:

http://www.linuxprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=HP-LaserJet_2100

Cheers,
Chris Howells