Apache

C. Ulrich dincht at securenym.net
Wed Dec 10 06:36:23 PST 2003

[Forgot to CC the list.]

On Tue, 2003-12-09 at 16:51, Payne wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Thanks, yes FreeBSD rocks!!! I know this is the right place to ask, so
> if you have the apache group list that would be nice, but what do I have
> to do to get my users account to work? Are they place for example
>
> /home/user_x/public_html
>
> On any web browser I get the following error.
>
> Forbidden
>
> You don't have permission to access /~user_x/ on this server.
>
> On my linux server this is already turn on so I am little lost.
>
> Payne

See the suggestions offered in the other replies, but also remember that
the user's ~/public_html directory has to be readable by the user
running the apache process (typically 'www'). Many people on a
multi-user machine do "chmod 700 ~" to keep others from snooping around
in their home directory, but this also keeps apache from being able to
read the web pages in ~/public_html.

Charles Ulrich
--
http://bityard.net