FBSD built in FTP server

Jonathan T. Sage sagejona at theatre.msu.edu
Tue Dec 9 16:42:40 PST 2003

Andrew Boothman wrote:

> Steve Bertrand wrote:
>
>> Sftp is great, and also loaded up by default is 'scp', which is the
>> Secure 'copy' program. From *nix to *nix, it is an effective way to copy
>> files to/from remote computers just as if they were local file systems:
>>
>>> From local to remote
>>

>> # scp thisfile steve at remote.domain.com:/home/steve
>>
>> and to copy from remote to local:
>>
>> # scp steve at remote.domain.com:/home/steve/thisfile /home/steve
>

> Agreed - I use scp a lot for copying files and directories between
> machines.
>
> There's also a great command-line scp client available for windows
> called pscp available from http://www.putty.org.uk/download.html along
> with PuTTY itself which is IMHO the best free windows SSH client available.
>
> Andrew

Additionally, there is winscp, http://winscp.sourceforge.net/eng/ which
is a windows scp and sftp intereface, optionally importing it's setting
from putty.

As a pre-warning, to avoid chasing the bugs i did when i decided to use
sftp, sftp and scp require a clean login, so if you for instance run a
shell script from your .profile (or similar), make sure it only runs on
interactive logins.

~j

--
"Yesterday upon the stair I saw a man