fsck not recognizing vinum filesystem type

Nate Lawson nate at root.org
Tue Dec 9 11:13:29 PST 2003

On Tue, 9 Dec 2003, DAVID THOMPSON wrote:
> I am a relatively new FreeBSD user and I have never posted a request
> for help before so I hope I am doing this right and not plugging up the
> board with irrelevant and out of context questions. My apologies if I
> am. Here is my problem:

Welcome to the club!

> I have vinum installed on my FreeBSD 5.1-Release box. Vinum starts and
> runs fine, but I can't fsck any of the volumes because it says...
>
> "fsck: Could not determine filesystem type."
>
> If I do a fsck -T ufs /dev/vinum/??? it will work fine, but it's when I
> don't explicity tell fsck what the filesystem type is that I get this
> error.

You probably didn't disklabel the disk.  Do a "man disklabel".  In
particular, you should do:

   disklabel -w /dev/vinum/??? auto

Edit the disklabel:

   disklabel -e /dev/vinum/???

Then newfs:

   newfs /dev/vinum/???

Note that you can potentially trash the system with all this, so please
read the section in the handbook on setting up vinum and/or disklabels
before doing this on a production system.  In fact, test on a scratch disk
first.

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/vinum-vinum.html
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/index.html

-Nate