apcupsd

Dave McCammon davemac11 at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 9 07:38:12 PST 2003

--- "HOLLOW, CHRISTOPHER" <christopher.hollow at cgi.com>
wrote:
> Hi...
>
>    I have the same UPS and cable running with
> apcupsd on FreeBSD 4.8.  I
> have nothing but good things to say about the UPS
> and apcupsd.  Detects
> and reports power failures and power restores.
> Properly halts the
> system upon reaching remaining-charge-percentage or
> time-until-failure
> thresholds.  I have messages logging to stdout and
> to apcupsd.log via
> syslog.  apcupsd does not send out email
> notification (AFAIK) but I have
> swatch configured to email me any apcupsd syslog
> messages.  I receive
> bi-weekly self-test messages.   It has been working
> flawlessly for about
> 18 months.
>
> Chris
>

> Barry Skidmore wrote:
>
> >OS: 5.1-RELEASE
> >UPS: Back-UPS 650, serial interface
> >Cable: 940-0020B
> >
> >With the above setup apcupsd detects a power
> failure, but not a return
> >of power, and thus does not send a notification
> email.
> >
> >Also, apcupsd does not halt the system.  I noticed
> in the docs that for
> >this to work on FreeBSD you need a Smart UPS, and
> use the
> >--kill-on-powerfail option at the command line.
> Since I do not have a
> >Smart UPS, I have not tried this option.
> >
> >My question is what model number of APC UPS is
> working well for you with
> >apcupsd 3.10.6
> >
> >My current setup did work fine with Red Hat 9.0 and
> upcupsd 3.8.0, so I
> >do not think this is an issue with the cable.
> >
> >Thanks,
> >Barry
> >On Mon, 2003-12-08 at 01:22, Robert Huff wrote:
> >

> >>Hello:

> so, please
> about recommended
> >>>

> >>	There are.  :-)
> >>	QHat's the question?
> >>

> >>				Robert Huff

[snip]

I've got 4 FBSD 4.9 servers, 1 Win2k server, 1 FBSD
5.1 server running on a apc Smart-UPS 1400XL w/extra
battery(all rack mount) with APCUPSD 3.8.6. One of the
FBSD 4.9 servers is the master.

I've got two W2k servers running on a Smart-UPS 1000XL
w/extra batter. Both running APCUPSD 3.8.6. One
master, the other slave.

And there is another FBSD 4.9 server running on a
Smart-UPS 620 running APCUPSD 3.8.6 as a standalone.

The FBSD master on 1400xl collects info from the
standalone and W2K master for the web based network
monitor.

All host send email to root when there is an
event(except tests). The mail is sent by the
scripts(changeme, commfailure, commok, mainsback, and
onbattery) called from apccontrol in the
/usr/local/etc/apcupsd directory.

3.8.6 works like a charm, except for the zombie
process that happens on the FBSD master and standalone
which doesn't seemed to cause any problems.

Dave